Just yesterday I submitted my thesis to complete my Master of Applied Science (MASc) degree, and I suddenly find myself with more free time than I have had in well over 6 years. So I had the bright idea to start a little personal project to fill my days.
Really, I want to use this website to give myself a bit of structure as I try to figure out my next career steps. I’ll be writing about a wide variety of engineering-based topics, however, the primary focus will be on sustainability and conservation. This is actually a bit out of my comfort zone, because my previous experience is based on biomechanical engineering. For your reference, here is the dictionary definition of what it means to be sustainable:
- able to be maintained at a certain rate or level.
- conserving an ecological balance by avoiding depletion of natural resources.
- able to be upheld or defended.
This, in my mind, allows consideration for all of the following:
- Renewable and clean energy (solar, wind, hydro)
- Sustainability on an individual and industrial level (zero-waste lifestyle, sustainable infrastructure, circular economics, etc.)
- Policies for mitigating climate change
- Equitable access to the outdoors
And so much more. Stay tuned!
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?Mary Olivier, “The Summer Day” from House of Light